Apply for a British Nationality (Naturalisation – Adult / Child)
British nationality is NOT a right – but is a discretion of the UK Government, and if refused, there is no appeal right (although a reconsideration can be requested).
British nationality applications are fraught with risk, given the stringent good character requirements. To apply you need:.
- To hold indefinite leave to remain
- To have been lawfully present in the UK at all times up to a period of ten years
- To be of good character (Includes debts/bankruptcy to past criminality)
- To meet the residence requirements and not exceed allowable absences
It is open to anyone to apply who already holds indefinite leave or permanent residence. However, there is a specific difference whether you are married to a British citizen at the time of application as:
- A person NOT married to a British citizen must hold ILR for one year and be present in the UK for five years.
- A person MARRIED to a British citizen can apply immediately after ILR as long as having three years residence
What will I receive?
- Successful applicants will be granted British Citizenship and be issued a certificate confirming their nationality.
- Successful applicants can then apply for the issue of a British Passport
Costs of the application (UKVI Fees)
- Nationality fee (Naturalisation) – £1330