Apply for a Skilled Worker Visa in the UK
If you are looking to work in the UK and you have a particular qualification or skillset, you will need a Tier 2 Work Visa to come to take an employment, usually paying a salary of at least £20,800 per annum.
You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if:
- you’ve been offered a skilled job in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
Professional Visa Eligibility
If you are planning to apply for a Tier 2 (General) Visa in the UK, you will need to be employed by a licensed sponsor. The sponsor checks that you can do the job they’re hiring you for and if it qualifies you for a visa. They’ll assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove this.
Here is a list of Tier 2 (General) visa requirements:
- have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job
- show you’re being paid an appropriate salary for your job
- prove your knowledge of English
- have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK
- show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years
- have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country
- provide a criminal record certificate from any country you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years if you’ll be working with vulnerable people
Professional Visa Processing Time
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you’re due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship. You should get a decision on your Tier 2 (General) visa application within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
Professional Visa Fees
How much you pay for a Tier 2 (General) visa application depends on your situation, where you are and how you apply. Please contact our immigration solicitors today for more information.
- Up to 3 years – from £587
- Up to 3 years – shortage occupation – from £446
- More than to 3 years – from £1,174
- More than 3 years – shortage occupation – from £892
How long one can stay under a Tier 2 (General) Visa?
You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (General) visa for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.